My family and I haven’t tasted murkon for such a long time already because none of us knows how to cook one. We just order it from an acquaintance, but she is already dead (sad). We didn’t try as well to cook our own because the ingredients are expensive and it’s hard to commit mistakes.
But for the sake of new dishes on New Year’s eve, I did my research and come up with my own version of murkon.
1 kilo eye of round or top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tbsp calamansi juice
salt and pepper
cheese, sliced to sticks
3 hard boiled eggs, halved
3 pcs of pickles, sliced to sticks
3 pcs of hotdog, can be whole or sliced in half
1 carrot, sliced to sticks
1 tbsp oil
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium onion, minced
8 pcs of small tomato, quartered
1 pc of pickle, minced
2 small cans of Reno liver spread
1/4 kilo pork liver, chopped
1 cup tomato sauce
1 beef cube
1. Combine marinade ingredients. Put the beef in, and marinate it for 30 minutes.
Tip: In my case, I marinated it while I was preparing everything else so I won’t have any idle/waiting time.
2. Lift the beef out of the marinade. Place it in a flat surface.
3. Start assembling the fillings as you want. I assembled mine on the leftmost, rightmost, and center of the beef.
4. Once done assembling, roll the beef carefully to enclose its fillings.
5. Tie the meat roll using kitchen thread to seal it and avoid from opening up.
6. Pan-fry the meat until the outer part turns medium brown. I fried mine using a grill non-stick pan.
7. Once done, set aside the meat roll.
8. On a deep casserole, put oil and saute onion and garlic until the former becomes translucent.
9. Add in tomatoes, pickles, liver spread, liver, tomato sauce, beef cube, and 4 cups of water. Stir until fully combined.
10. Put the meat roll and let it cook for about an hour in low heat, covered, or until the water had reduced already. Sauce should be thick as an end product. Turnover the meat every now and then.
11. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I didn’t have any other picture of the actual I forgot to take one because of excitement to eat.
Check the other dishes I made for our New Year’s eve: